Consett came into being after the chance discovery of ironstone, which led to the formation of the Derwent Iron Company, in 1841, which constructed rows of houses, known as Company Rows, for its workers. The first included Staffordshire Terrace and Puddlers’ Row. Other rows – later called Princes Street, King Street and Queen Street – were built parallel to Front Street. They were mostly demolished in 1924 and, in 1936, the site became a market place, which has recently been developed.
Find out More >