The George public house has stood for more than 200 years where High Street bends around Market Square. The three-storey building was grade II listed in 1978. It is described in the listing text as ‘c1810 with later alterations’ and a ‘late C19 inn front’. The premises were referred to in the local trade directory of 1822 as the ‘George Inn’, with ‘Thos.Emery’ as their licensee. The ‘George Inn’ was also mentioned the same year in the Law Advertiser (Vol.2). The inn was later known as the George Hotel for many years and, more recently, as ‘The George’.
An illustration and text about The George Inn.
The text reads: The George public house has stood for more than 200 years where high street bends around market square. The three-storey building was grade II listed in 1978. It is described in the listing text as “c1810 with later alterations” and a “late C19 inn front”. The premises were referred to in the local trade directory of 1822 as the George Inn, with Thos Emery as its licensee. The George Inn was also mentioned the same year in the law advertiser (vol.2). The inn was later known as the George Hotel for many years and, more recently, as The George.
The well-known hostelry was one of the town’s original coaching inns. The coaching trade reached its peak during the 1830s, when Sandbach was an important stopping place on the roads from London and Birmingham to both Liverpool and Manchester.
Prints and text about Edwin Foden.
The text reads: In 1856 Edwin Foden became an apprentice at the agricultural equipment manufacturing company Plant & Hancock. He became partner in the business and on the retirement of George Hancock in 1887 he renamed the company Foden Sons & Co, Ltd.
The Foden name became synonymous with a reputation for quality engineering and played a key role in the evolution of commercial road transport both in the UK and around the world.
The last Foden was produced in July 2006, putting an end to 150 years of Foden truck manufacturing.
Text about Sandbach’s markets.
The text reads: Sandbach has hosted markets in the town since it was granted a Royal Charter in 1579 by Queen Elizabeth I. The market has taken many forms over the years from livestock, produce and crafts, to celebration markets and today’s selection of traditional markets and specialist markets. This provided the inspiration for the 3D shadow boxes displaying an eclectic mix of items sold at the market.
A photograph of Front Street, Sandbach, c1955.
A photograph of Hightown, Sandbach, c1955.
A photograph of The Square, Sandbach, c1960.
A photograph of town centre, Sandbach, c1965.
A photograph of The Square and Crosses, Sandbach, c1960.
A photograph of Market Place, Sandbach, c1965.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org